Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Hau Mau

Hello to all!
I am typing from the Sommers's house because I'm currently serving in the sector of Pare with Sœur D'Agnillo and Sœur Daejaghere. I actually trained Sœur Sommers so it's fun seeing where she lives. :)
So in the past 2 weeks as a new SA, I have served in roughly 5 sectors. It's quite an adventure and a test of my ability to live simply. I change houses every time so I live out of a little GO bag that is meant to be used for 3-4 days but I'm going on 10 days without a fuel stop. It's fun except for I don't have my camera with me so... everyone close your eyes and imagine a palm tree. Imagine me under it holding a Book of Mormon and talking to a Polynesian family. That's a pretty close representation of my daily life.
Person highlight: Sœur Dejaghere
So she trained me first of all on how to say her name. It's like the translation of "already war" so "déjà guerre" for the French-speakers. One day we had a few minutes to discuss lessons and she taught me how to origami-fold a morning glory flower while we talked. She is truly French and just started her mission. I am doing everything in my power to acquire her adorable accent. I ask her super deep questions so I can better understand her hopes and dreams and also to get her to speak a lot so I can start speaking like her. Story: One time in the MTC she read the package of a bag of popcorn and read to put it in the microwave for 3 minutes. She thought to herself, "Americans are very specific with the labelling of food products, I'll do exactly what it says." She set the timer and left to talk to a friend. When she returned, the microwave was smoking and a few seconds later the smoke alarm went off. Sister missionaries started evacuating the building in great haste, some directly from the showers. Her English was limited but she finally managed to communicate "Popcorn! No worries!" to everybody but since then she has some stress when she makes popcorn. :) Wish you all could have heard it with her cute accent.
There are two twin girls next to me playing a clapping handgame that I used to play with my sister Hales but of course they're singing in French and it's an explosion of nostalgia and mission love.
Matt 5:40 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your father in heaven is perfect." Did you all know that it is a commandment to be perfect? Now you do. Helpful hint: Take a beat before responding to criticism. Find the value in what they said and thank them for it.
Pip pip, cheerio, and all that sort of tosh!
Take vitamins every day or eat Honey Nut Cheerios,
love, Sœur Carter