Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Bonjour!

Everyones thinkin' it, I'm just saying' it: 6 months. That’s right, this
time next year I will be home (assuming there are no complications with the
travel arrangements & the weather is ideal for flying) so it's probably a
good time to reflect.

1. A mission is really hard sometimes. That’s all I am going to say about
that.

2. Tahiti is one of the most naturally-beautiful places I have ever visited,
and I've visited some pretty places. I'm so lucky I get to serve a mission
in a beautiful place, that helps with the gratitude & appreciation aspect of
mission life.

3. Obedience is really important. Im not brain-washed, I just have lived the
benefits of following the rules & everything is so much easier.

4. English is a little hard to speak sometimes. I am not saying this to make
it seem like I'm so fluent in French & Tahitian that I can't speak my native
language. I stand out here because Im American but Ive picked up some bad
habits that would be out of place in America. One could say that I feel akin
with Richard Wright in "Black Boy". (also because I have black heritage?
-unconfirmed rumor)

5. The mandatory training I received at the beginning of my mission is now
being solidified by my example and training of my comp Sr Hopuu. I really
like being in charge but Im staying way humble because I cant actually speak
the language all the time. Pretty big deal but fortunately I have become the
Queen of Facial Expressions so we manage to be pretty good at figuring out
what’s going on.

6. I’m way more humble than I used to be. That’s “awll” I have to say about
“thayat”.

7. I am solidly converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
by the experiences I have had and the knowledge I have gained.

Random side note in response to little cultural differences: all the girls
greet each other by the 'bisou' which is the kiss on each cheek, you kiss
kids on the top of the head, and I shake hands with all the men.

If you are dedicated stalkers of my blog or if this is the first time you’ve
glanced at this page, visit www.mormon.org to understand more about my
mission. I especially love the 'slice of life' videos of different members
of this church, watch just one and you will want to know more. (the Brandon
Powers one was pretty great)

Spiritual experience to finish off the letter:
Every morning before we head out we say a prayer of safety to protect us
"sur la route" and that the drivers will be safe. One morning my companion
and I were biking (we had already biked about 10 miles at this point) and as
I was crossing the road, the driver indicated that it was ok to cross but
she didn’t actually stop the car. The car hit me as I was crossing in front
about 10 mph and I fell into the road. Im not sharing this experience to
scare anyone, but only to share the miracle that I was not hurt at all. I’m
totally fine, my bike was totally fine. I got up right afterwards and
continued biking, later stopping to say a prayer of thanks. The creator of
the Universe is watching over me & my Heavenly Father is protecting every
missionary who is obedient. I know that every prayer is heard. Start your
prayers in the name of Heavenly Father (or another title), share the things
that are important to you/express thanks/ask for help, and finish "in the
name of Jesus Christ, amen."

Have a fantastic week!
Soeur Carter

Inaha, i te mau hohoa:
(Behold, the photos:)

1. It pays to have rich friends in Tahiti. But really, I am really loving
the black pearl earrings that the Fare family gave me!
2. I heard you liked Tahiti, so I put some Tahiti in Tahiti. (Pinterest?)
3. My planner and journal- I use both on the daily and would be
directionless without. One time I lost my planner for a day and I became
Jean Valjean and started singing "Who Am I?".
4. The cutest kid who kept falling over because the helmet was so heavy & it
was so hilarious. He was the one who gave me the earrings. :)
5. Usually how my language study goes down. Sometimes I occasionally add the
French and Tahitian Books of Mormon.
6. The view just outside our DMP's house, pretty typical. :) The mountains
are pretty much 90° straight up, pretty daunting for all prospective hikers.